History

You are here

History of Celebration

From South Street Assembly to Celebration Church

On July 29,1940, Rev. Richard Dobbins pioneered a new Assembly of God in Akron. This new church was called South Street Assembly of God. A new freeway came through Akron in 1958, taking away South Street's building. At the same time, Central Assembly of God was without a pastor. These two churches merged and became the Assembly of God at Brown and Vine. Central Assembly of God had developed out of the ministries of a succession of pastors during a period of over thirty years.

On August 9, 1964, this new congregation broke ground and began construction on a new building. On November 28, 1965, this growing congregation moved into a new facility on Dan Street. This new building and growing congregation became known as Evangel Temple with Rev. Dobbins as its pastor. Under Dr. Dobbins, the ministry of Evangel Temple flourished.

After 26 years of pastoral ministry in Akron, Rev. Dobbins resigned as pastor to devote his full-time ministry to Emerge Ministries, a Christian Counseling Center. This ministry was founded by him and birthed out of Evangel Temple.

Rev. Dobbins was succeeded in the pastorate by Rev. Derrill Sharp, who the lead the congregation for 22 years. In 1988, under his vision and leadership, the church expanded the facility to its present size. He resigned in 1996.

In 1997, Rev. Michael Mancari became the third pastor in the history of this church known as Evangel Temple. Rev. Mancari lead Evangel Temple until 2002, at which time Rev. Jeff Wade became Pastor.

Under Pastor Wade's leadership updates were made to the church facility, multiple outreach programs were launched, the church partnered with a community organization to build a community playground for children, and the church's name was changed from Evangel Temple to Celebration Church. Rev. Jeff Wade resigned in 2013.

In 2014, Celebration Church welcomed new Pastors, Zach and Heather Prosser. Under their leadership, Celebration is experiencing a renewed passion for God and ministry to the community with an emphasis on Holy Spirit empowered ministry.